Version 4.2 introduces a change to the way menus are navigated. Implemented changes are in line with the latest WAI-ARIA practices on menubar site navigation.
The use of the tab and arrows keys is different. It's now strictly defined what happens when you press the arrows. The submenu due to this change does not appear automatically and is only opened by using the down/up arrow.
Updated keyboard navigation
WAI-ARIA practices for horizontal navigation menubar and its submenu are applied to the DJ-MegaMenu module.
Keyboard support is implemented for:
- Horizontal Menubar that contains menu items (elements) which are:
- Linked elements with no submenu
- Linked elements that contain a submenu
- Separator elements that contain a submenu
- Child submenus that:
- Include elements that may contain multiple vertically arranged items
- Include submenus with other vertically arranged items
- Include submenus divided into columns as a separate set of a vertical menu element
Tab keyboard shortcuts get you to the menubar in the standard tab sequence navigation process. (Shift + Tab allows moving back to the element in the tab sequence).
Once you get to focus on the menubar element, then you may follow keyboard support rules to use the key functions listed in the tables below:
|It opens the submenu and moves focus to the first item in the submenu.|
|Down Arrow||It opens the submenu and moves focus to the first item in the submenu.|
|Up Arrow||It opens the submenu and moves focus to the last item in the submenu.|
|Home||Moves focus on the first item in the menubar.|
|End||Moves focus on the last item in the menubar.|
|Home||Moves focus on the first item in the submenu.|
|End||Moves focus on the last item in the submenu.|
Note: For a key Enter in Menubar
If the menu item in the Menubar:
- It is a separator and contains child submenus. Then Enter key opens a submenu according to the keyboard support rules.
- However, if it is a linked item and contains submenus, enters key redirects to the URL applied to this item.
The latest update also brings some performance improvements.
We need to remind you that the DJ-MegaMenu extension is available in two versions - premium and light.
The Light version does not require some premium features, but you can download it for free and also easily upgrade to the Mega Menu Pro version if you need it.
WCAG related tutorials
Discover the list of Joomla and WordPress-related articles about WCAG recommendations of making accessible web pages.
- How to translate WCAG accessibility icons from the top bar?
- Who needs to adjust a website to WCAG guidelines?
- WCAG 2.0 web accessibility development services
- How to fix errors and warnings on an accessible website with WCAG 2.0 or Section508 compliance?
- How to use keyboard shortcuts with the accessible template (WCAG/Section508)?
- How to follow recommendations for making web content more accessible WCAG 2.0 (Section 508)
- Make a successful accessible website with WCAG 2.0 & ADA & Section 508 compliant Joomla template.
- How to properly navigate accordion using keyboard according to WCAG recommendations
- Build a successful website for a small business with WCAG 2.1 compliance with WordPress theme
- How to follow WCAG recommendations for making web content more accessible in WordPress theme
We are pioneers in creating accessible Joomla templates and accessible WordPress themes. It means they are WCAG /ADA/ Section508 fully compatible.
Want to know more?
- You will find the full list of changes in the changelog for version 4.2.
- Check DJ-MegaMenu documentation
- If your subscription expired, you could renew your subscription with a 25% discount.
- Check how you can update DJ-MegaMenu.
- Get DJ-MegaMenu 4.2 version Pro.
- Visit the DJ-MegaMenu product page to see all the features of our Joomla Menu extension.
Joomla extension for galleries, slideshows, sliders. Create beautiful photo and video galleries and place them anywhere at your website.Joomla 3Joomla 4WCAG
Joomla extension for classified ads, auctions and listing websites. Offers unlimited categories, locations, custom fields, and various payment gateways.Joomla 3
Simple and powerful directory/catalog and eCommerce Joomla extension. Simple to setup and provides neat, modern responsive output.Joomla 3