The topic of using web content accessibility guidelines to get website accessibility is extremely important for us. We are currently offering a WCAG 2.0 compliant Joomla extensions as well as free Joomla modules and Joomla templates.
In this post, we will take a look at the best accessibility-ready Joomla templates and extensions to help you build a web page compliant with WCAG/ADA/Section508 standards.
What are Web Content Accessibility Guidelines?
It’s a collection of documents containing recommendations for creating accessible websites. Their primary purpose is to provide user-friendly accessibility standards to websites for the largest number of users with disabilities such as the blind or visually impaired (Digital Exclusion).
That is also required by law for many public institutions sites in more and more countries.
Let’s start with our Joomla extensions. They are built to meet accessibility requirements with WCAG 2.0, Section 508, and ADA support. It means that they follow WCAG recommendations for creating websites for people with disabilities.
Joomla Extensions with WCAG/ADA/Section508 compliance
- DJ-MediaTools - powerful Joomla gallery and slideshow extension.
- DJ Mega Menu - an advanced responsive Joomla menu system (WCAG 2.0 / Section 508 / ADA). Using this extension, you can set each menu item as you want, including the number of columns. You can also put the modules on the menu.
- There is a light, free version of Mega Menu module also available. Of course, it comes with some limitations but the free version you can easily upgrade to the Pro version.
- DJ Image Slider - free to download, responsive, Joomla slider extension. It allows you to create and manage the unlimited number of slides and insert them into your website. Each slide can include a title, description, and be linked to the article, menu item, or any Url.
- DJ Tabs - component and module displays are purposed to display content in tabs or accordion layout. It works for various content like single articles, articles from category, and modules. There are 12 predefined themes to choose from.
Joomla Templates with WCAG/ADA/Section 508 compliance
Let’s focus now on Joomla templates that follow the newest trends and recommendations like WCAG 2.0 & Section 508 & ADA standards.
All templates are accessible, and they suit well well for requirements of public institutions and organizations sites. If you want to launch an accessible website, you should try one of these templates.
JM University - Professional Joomla template for schools from the education category purposed for university websites.
It allows displaying school activities in a modern and attractive way.
This template uses:
JM Simple - It’s a great clean, business responsive Joomla template for creating powerful business websites.
It includes everything required for a modern website from the finance, marketing, or technology category.
There are three demo versions of the home page available - for a business, marketing, and hosting company.
JM Simple is packed with the best Joomla extensions needed for a professional business website:
JM Commune Offices - It’s a responsive, clean, and modern office template purposed for any website connected with public institutions or community office.
It’s purposed to show off development plans or the latest city news presentation.
This template contains powerful Joomla extensions:
JM Education - It's a modern education Joomla template suitable for schools, universities, colleges, language schools, or kindergartens website projects.
You should see the demo site and discover the template's possibilities.
It uses powerful Joomla extensions (included for free):
Joomla Modules with WCAG/ADA/Section 508 compliance
Next section concerns Joomla modules. All modules mentioned below are free to download and WCAG 2.0, Section 508 and ADA compliant.
- Simple Image Slider - This image slider allows to create and manage the unlimited number of slides and display them at any template layout position. Slides can have a title, description, and buttons. There are also many customization options available.
- JM Social Icons - The simple module allows presenting social media icons with links to profiles. You can create the unlimited number of icons and set the color for each one of them.
- JM Best Features - Show off best features of a product! Features may surround the main central image or can be displayed in 2 columns as well. Each item can include a title linked to any URL.
- JM Simple Tabs - Display content in the unlimited number of tabs using this simple module. Tabs can be oriented horizontally or vertically. Tabs may display different content (text, responsive embed video or images).
- JM Team Profiles - Show off company team member profiles. You may set the unlimited number of team profiles including the name, profession and social profile pages.
- JM Intro Articles - Show off articles from the selected category with intro images. It uses features like intro image from the article, carousel navigation or items in columns.
- JM Image Carousel - The simple module allows displaying images in 3 different styles (carousel, flat, overflow). You can also enable next/prev buttons or bullets indicators. Another useful option is the scroll wheel.
- JM Pricing Tables - The module for displaying free or paid plans along with their title, price, currency, period, description, and the button. You can also set the recommended plan.
- JM Testimonials - This simple module was created to display testimonials along with its author. There is also a possibility to enable indicators or autoplay.
- JM Additional Features - Using this module, you can display features of a product. Each item’s title can be linked to any URL. There is a possibility to include the read more button as well.
- JM Counter - This module is purposed for displaying a counter. You can set the item title, unit, value and count speed.
Building a website does not have to exclude people with different kinds of disabilities. It should not because accessible websites become more of a requirement in web design in the recent years.
It’s recommended to treat accessibility as a priority. We hope that extensions, modules, and templates mentioned above will help you to adapt the existing or upcoming website to the WCAG requirements!
WordPress themes with WCAG/ADA/Section 508 compliance
If you do not use a website based on the Joomla and WordPress is your preferred content management system, we can recommend you using accessibility-ready WordPress themes with WCAG 2.0 / Section 508 / ADA compliance:
- Company WordPress theme - simple, multipurpose and professional, the business theme designed for a modern company website.
- Lawyer WordPress theme - clean, simple theme designed for crafting a professional website for your specific needs. Suits well for a lawyer or a legal adviser web page.
- Simple WordPress theme - clean business theme focused on business category. It should be attractive to small firms, agencies, corporations, and freelancers, who are looking to grow their firm.
- Public Institutions WordPress theme - clean and modern theme designed for offices, police or even the fire brigade, web pages related to public institutions or community.
- Education WordPress theme - universal theme with useful solutions to show off school activities and teachers. It’s a great choice for a university, college, language schools, daycare or kindergarten websites.
- Services WordPress theme - multipurpose business theme designed as a powerful solution for services presentation and professional company introduction.
Find other resources about WCAG/ADA/Section 508 requirements and solutions to meet them
- Build a successful website for a small business with WCAG 2.0 compliance with WordPress.
- How to follow WCAG recommendations for making web content more accessible in WordPress theme.
- Discover the best accessibility-ready WordPress themes with WCAG 2.0 / Section 508 compliance.
- WCAG 2.0 web accessibility development services.